Sunday, June 24, 2012

        Here is an gem from Pablo Neruda, in "The Essential Neruda", a collection of English translations.

ONENESS

There's something dense, united, sitting in the background,
repeating its number, its identical signal.
How clear it is that stones have handled time,
in their fine substance there's the smell of age,
and water the sea brings, salty and sleepy.

Just one thing surrounds me, a single motion:
the weight of rocks, the light of skin,
fasten themselves to the sound of the word night:
the tones of wheat, of ivory, of tears,
things made of leather, of wood, of wool
aging, fading, blurring,
come together around me like a wall.

I toil deafly, circling above myself,
like a raven above death, grief's raven,
I'm thinking, isolated in the vastness of seasons,
dead center, surrounded by silent geography:
a piece of weather falls from the sky,
an extreme empire of confused unities
converges, encircling me.

translated by Stephen Kessler

No comments:

Post a Comment